Pain in your jaw joint and numerous facial muscles can be debilitating, affecting your quality of life.
Symptoms can include:
- Tender facial muscles
- Frequent headaches
- Limited mouth opening
- Clicking/crackling near jaw-joint
- Pain in and around the ear
- Increasing pain & locking episodes
Potential causes for this pain include:
- Wear and tear on the joint
- Arthritis of the jaw-joint
- Grinding or clenching of your teeth (bruxism)
- Misalignment of your upper and lower jaws
Treating Jaw-joint Pain
Various dental treatment that can help in alleviating the jaw-joint pain include occlusal splints and muscle relaxants.
- Also known as night guards, these removable custom-fitted dental appliances are worn whilst you sleep to protect your teeth and existing restorations from involuntary and destructive jaw movements.
- Occlusal splints provide protection from grinding and clenching by covering the biting surfaces of the upper or lower teeth resulting in their separation. Fabricated by CAD/CAM technology from a durable material typically produces a much stronger, less bulky and precise fitting appliance than the convention methods use.
Call our practice today and book a consultation to discuss your Jaw-joint problems. (02) 9969 0669